So I had this dresser….. I bought it over a year ago because I loved the look and shape of it, just not the finish.
Then we moved, my BFF lovingly stored it in her basement until we found our permanent home. That is when the dresser moved to the garage and sat for months until I finally decided what to do with her.
And so the transformation began. I had the place in my house that I wanted her to go and I knew what picture I wanted to hang above. So I hatched a plan that would tie the picture and this chest of drawers together. I was going to paint her in a lovely terra cotta color. But once I painted the top, I changed my mind. That would be a whole lot of orange!!! I decided to paint just the top a terra cotta color and the rest old white and then lightly distress it. To get the right color, I mixed 2 parts Annie Sloan Barcelona Orange with one part Emperor’s Silk.
Once the painting was complete I roughed her up a bit and then gave her a good coat of clear wax before starting the dark wax.
I really worked in the dark wax and wiped it off quickly. I didn’t want the white to get too dark but I did want it to settle into all the details.
Here she is with her intended art:
I’m still not sure about the orange top, but that’s the beauty of chalk paint. She can be changed in a short afternoon!
One Project Closer with Habitat for Humanity – House of Hepworths and The Better Half